Three of Maine’s community colleges (Central Maine Community College in Auburn, Southern Maine Community College in South Portland, and York County Community College in Wells) are piloting an accelerated degree program designed to enable Maine adults who have earned at least 30 college credits to complete a two-year degree in 12 months.*
The program—known as Accelerate ME—will provide participating students help with tuition costs, academic and personal counseling, and priority course scheduling. It is designed to serve 225 students during the pilot period.
Accelerate ME is open to Maine residents who:
- Are 18 years of age or older when they enter the program.
- Have been awarded at least 30 credit hours toward a degree and can complete a degree within 12 months.
- Are either: currently enrolled part-time, in good academic standing, and taking courses on a schedule that will require two or more years to complete their degree, or are not currently enrolled and have not been enrolled within the past academic year but have been enrolled within the past five years in good academic standing.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The Accelerate ME program is made possible by a leadership gift from The Kresge Foundation, with additional support from the following donors: Acadia Insurance Company, Madeleine G. Corson; International Paper and International Paper Foundation; People's United Community Foundation; Unum; and Walmart Foundation.
What students have to say
- Accelerate ME has helped me fulfill my goal of earning an associates degree. The support I received behind the scenes -- from picking classes, to academic support, to knowing someone is there when you need it -- was key to my success.
- Accelerate ME has renewed my faith in myself to attain anything with no limitations.
- Accelerate ME has made it possible for me to finish my degree. Without this help I may have never been able to finish school in a timely manner. I am very thankful for this program.
- More student quotes.
Learn more about Accelerate ME
- Individuals interested in applying or learning more about the program are encouraged to contact AME coordinators at the three colleges:
- Central Maine Community College
- Andrew Morong
Accelerate ME College Coordinator
1250 Turner Street
Auburn, ME 04210
- Southern Maine Community College
- Vicki-Rose Siegel
Coordinator for Accelerate ME
2 Fort Road
South Portland Maine 04106
- York County Community College
- Jane Kimball Foley
Accelerate ME Coordinator
1-800-580-3820 ext 4417
*Program participants will be able to enroll in Liberal Studies, General Studies, Career Studies, General Technology, and Business Management or in any other degree program in which a student with advanced standing can complete his or her degree within 12 months.