George J. Mitchell Scholarship Exchange
The George J. Mitchell Peace Scholarship provides opportunities for students from the Maine Community College System and the University of Maine System to study in Ireland for a semester or a year. The Scholarship honors the Northern Ireland peace accord brokered by Senator Mitchell between the governments and peoples of Ireland and the United Kingdom.
Successful MCCS applicants are eligible to attend the Cork Institute of Technology on the south coast of Ireland. The scholarship covers tuition and fees, books, room and board, a living expense stipend, and a travel grant.
The selection process is competitive and students must complete an application and interview in order to be considered for the award. Emphasis is on academic success and maturity. Students interested in applying for the scholarship are strongly encouraged to meet with their Dean of Students as early in the process as possible.
To be considered for a George J. Mitchell Peace Scholarship, a student must—
- Be 18 or older and eligible for international travel at the time of the exchange.
- Be a Maine resident for at least one year by the application deadline.
- Have demonstrated leadership skills and a commitment to community service.
- Be a full-time, matriculated student in the Maine Community College System (MCCS) and enrolled in an associate degree program or have graduated from MCCS in 2015.
- Have completed at least one semester by the application deadline or be set to graduate from MCCS in May 2016.
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Application deadline: February 15, 2016
- Selection date: On or about April 10, 2016, the anniversary of the signing of the Peace Accord on Good Friday 1998.
- Announcement date: On or about May 22, 2016, the anniversary of the vote for the Peace Accord.
For more information
- Contact Dorry French, Coordinator, George J. Mitchell Scholarship Exchange, 207.699.4899
- See answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Check out the Scholarship Exchange Facebook page
- Read this update sent fall 2014 by Mitchell Scholar Amber Powell
- Read this update sent fall 2014 by Mitchell Scholar Kaitlyn Kinsey
- Read the blogs, and watch the video, about the experiences of these two Mitchell Exchange Scholars:
– The Cork Board