Guidance and information for MCCS students

Are Maine’s community colleges open for in-person instruction?

Yes, and there are remote learning opportunities as well.

Are the dorms open?

Yes, residence halls at the five colleges that have them are open.

Will I be required to get a COVID vaccine?

Yes. Any student or trainee accessing MCCS facilities, including off-site education centers and locations, is required to be vaccinated against COVID-19.  Those seeking exemptions to the student vaccination requirement can find more information in our Vaccine Protocol.

Students who are fully remote and will not be entering campus buildings for any purpose do not need proof of vaccination.

When do I need to get a vaccine?

Students must provide proof they received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine prior to attending their first in-person class.  Students who require a second dose of a vaccine must provide proof of the second dose by the start of the following semester.  Johnson and Johnson, Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines are accepted. International students may also provide proof of vaccination with a vaccine approved for use by the World Health Organization (WHO) Emergency Use Listing.

Will I be required to wear a mask if I'm in a campus building?

Each campus sets their own face covering protocol. For more information, please see our Face Covering Protocols.

I hear there’s federal emergency aid money available for college students - how do I apply for that?
  • If you are a Maine community college student facing financial challenges that are threatening your ability to remain in school, please reach out to the financial aid office at your college.
  • Applications for the federal emergency aid money are available at the financial aid offices. In addition, each of the colleges has some emergency assistance that has been made available through private donations.
  • All of these funds are targeted to students who experience COVID-19 related hardships that make it difficult for them to continue their education.
  • Keep in mind, these funds are meant to help students continue their education and training. Emergency assistance is available to help with costs that might make it difficult for you to stay in school. This includes short-term support to help with immediate needs related to food, housing, child care, books, supplies, and computers.
If I don’t have access to reliable wifi, what should I do?

Your college may be able to help. Contact your instructor or advisor to learn who at your college can discuss your needs and what options exist.

Can I still receive tutoring or disability services?

Yes. Tutoring and disability services continue to be available to students. Please contact the disabilities coordinator at your college or your instructor or advisor if you need help in accessing these services.