George J. Mitchell Scholarship Exchange
The George J. Mitchell Peace Scholarship provides opportunities for students from the Maine Community College System to study in Ireland for a semester. The Scholarship honors the Northern Ireland peace accord brokered by Senator Mitchell between the governments and peoples of Ireland and the United Kingdom.
Successful MCCS applicants are eligible to attend the Cork Institute of Technology on the south coast of Ireland.
The scholarship covers:
- tuition and fees
- a food and living expense stipend of 500 euros a month
- a travel grant of $1,000
- funds to cover the Irish Immigration fee
Students who are awarded the scholarship should budget for:
- additional food and living expenses
- personal expenses
- Proof of sufficient funds (approximately $3,000) to support themselves financially during their period of study in Ireland, which is required by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service requires for student visa holders. The funds would need to be deposited in an Irish bank account on the day a student registers with Irish Immigration (once the student is in Ireland). However, it is important to note that the funds do not need to remain in the account once the student has registered.
The selection process is competitive and students must complete an application and interview in order to be considered for the award. Emphasis is placed on academic success, maturity, leadership, and community service. Students interested in applying for the scholarship are strongly encouraged to meet with their Dean of Students as early in the process as possible.
To be considered for a George J. Mitchell Peace Scholarship, a student must:
- Be 18 or older and eligible for international travel at the time of the exchange.
- Have demonstrated leadership skills and a commitment to community service.
- Be a full-time, matriculated student in the Maine Community College System (MCCS) and enrolled in an associate degree program or have recently graduated from MCCS.
- Have completed at least one semester by the application deadline.
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Application deadline: Applications are due in March of each year. The deadline for 2018/2019 has passed. Applications for 2019/2020 will be available in December 2018.
See what other students have to say about the exchange: