AUGUSTA, ME – Fourteen Maine community college students were named to the All-Maine Academic Team for two-year colleges at a ceremony on Wednesday, March 22, 2017, at 11 a.m., at the Senator Inn in Augusta. The event was hosted by the Maine Community College System Board of Trustees. The students who received the award, which includes a $500 scholarship, are:
• Misty Edgecomb, Auburn, Central Maine Community College in Auburn
• Melissa Potter, Lewiston, Central Maine Community College;
• Crystal Favati, Hampden, Eastern Maine Community College in Bangor;
• Danielle Thompson, Hudson, Eastern Maine Community College;
• Carroll Chapman, Embden, Kennebec Valley Community College in Fairfield/Hinckley;
• Meredith Cohen, Hallowell, Kennebec Valley Community College;
• David Craw, Washburn, Northern Maine Community College in Presque Isle;
• Jenny Morneault, Fort Kent, Northern Maine Community College;
• Bronson Kieltyka, Monmouth, Southern Maine Community College in South Portland/Brunswick;
• Ayoob Mahdi, Portland, Southern Maine Community College;
• Rachael Cox, Eastport, Washington County Community College in Calais;
• Leigh-Ann Hanson, Calais, Washington County Community College;
• Bryanna Smith, Sanford, York County Community College in Wells; and
• Spencer Wilkinson, Acton, York County Community College.
YCCC’s Bryanna Smith was also be honored as the Maine Coca-Cola New Century Scholar in recognition of having achieved the highest All-USA Academic Team application score in the state. Smith will represent Maine at the American Association of Community Colleges’ annual convention in April, where she will receive a $2,000 scholarship.
The All-Maine Academic Team is a program of Phi Theta Kappa, an international honor society for two-year colleges. Students are nominated and selected for the team by their college based on outstanding academic achievement, leadership, and service. The All-Maine Academic Team is co-sponsored by Northeast Trophy, Phi Theta Kappa, and the MCCS.