Transfer to a Maine Community College

What you need to know

Students must have achieved a minimum grade or score (set by the community college) for the coursework they wish to transfer. And the college will review the courses to determine what academic program requirements they fulfill. Because each case is different, students should contact the admissions office to initiate a review of credits they wish to transfer.

Each of Maine’s community colleges has also established a minimum number of courses that a student must take at the college in order to receive a degree or certificate from the institution.


Transferring credits between Maine’s community colleges and public universities

A new, comprehensive block transfer agreement between the state’s community colleges and the University of Maine System makes it possible for students in Associate in Arts programs to transfer up to 35 credits of general education requirements to any one of the 15 institutions within the two systems.

For other students who are interested in transferring general education course credits from one community college to another, this course equivalency matrix provides a quick reference guide.  Although the chart is updated on a regular basis, students are encouraged to confirm the information with the school to which they wish to transfer their credits.

Admissions officers at each college can provide you with additional information.


How to obtain college credit for work and other life experiences

Students can be excused from certain course requirements or may receive college credit for experience outside of a classroom if they are able to document relevant work or life experience. This documentation can be provided in a number of ways including through the Credit for College Level Examination Program (CLEP), challenge exams, portfolio assessment, professional certification exams, and other means. Learn more about credit for prior learning»

For more information about transferring to a Maine community college, contact an admissions office.