Transfer from a Maine Community College
Community Colleges are a Smart Start!
Starting a four-year degree – or more! – at a community college is a smart move. You save money, it’s an easier transition, and you benefit from excellent faculty and staff committed to your success! Every year, hundreds of MCCS alumni enroll in the University of Maine system and many other colleges.
If you know that’s your path, start by sitting down with one of the transfer advisors at Maine’s community colleges. Contacting them early in the process can save you time and money. Contacts are listed at the bottom of this page.
Transfer to the University of Maine System
It’s easier than ever to start at a Maine community college and finish your degree at one of Maine’s public universities. There are opportunities for guaranteed admission and advanced standing! It’s affordable and we work closely with the University of Maine System to offer many helpful resources to ease the transfer process, including:
- An online guide to help you determine which of your courses and credits will transfer
- Transfer advisors at each of the University of Maine campuses
- A block transfer agreement that makes it possible for students in Associate in Arts programs to transfer up to 35 credits of general education requirements to any one of the 15 institutions within the Maine community college and University of Maine systems.
- AdvantageU: for MCCS Liberal Studies students, guaranteed admission to UMS with advanced standing.
Special transfer opportunities
- MMA Prep: prepare for admission to Maine Maritime Academy at a Maine community college
- Exploring Transfer: spend a summer at Vassar College taking courses and exploring transfer to a four-year, liberal arts college
Other transfer pathways and partnerships
Maine’s community colleges have transfer agreements with many other colleges and universities—in Maine and across the country. These agreements are designed to make transfer to a four-year degree program as easy as possible. Students are encouraged to meet with a transfer advisor as soon as possible to understand what transfer pathways are available and how to take advantage of them.
Transfer from one Maine community college to another
This course equivalency matrix provides a quick reference guide for students who are interested in transferring general education course credits from one community college to another. Although the chart is updated on a regular basis, students are encouraged to confirm the information with the school to which they wish to transfer their credits.