Free & Reduced Tuition Eligibility
Maine’s community colleges are committed to providing equitable college access through our various On Course and Early College programs. For that reason, our colleges waive course fees for high school students in the following programs:
MDOE Aspirations Program
The Maine Aspirations Program provides access to early college courses by funding tuition costs; this program is managed by the Maine Department of Education. Qualified students may access up to 12 credits per year pending funding availability. This total includes courses taken at Maine’s community colleges and public universities.
Eligibility for Aspirations includes:
- Minimum public high school grade point average of at least a 3.0 (on a scale of 4.0), or the equivalent of a “B” average or, in lieu of a 3.0, they are recommended for participation by a school unit’s administration (see exception statement below)
- The eligible institution has determined that the student has satisfactorily completed any course prerequisites;
- The school unit approves;
- The student’s parent or caregiver approves; and
- The eligible institution has space available for the secondary student.
Exception – Student Eligibility
Students not meeting the grade point eligibility requirements, or are first or second-year students may participate if:
- The student has received a recommendation to participate from the student’s school administration or teacher following an assessment of the student by the school administration; and
- The student has been approved for participation by an eligible institution.
Early College Tuition Rate at Maine’s Community Colleges
Students who either do not qualify for or have exceeded their individual Aspirations funding that are attending a Maine High School will be charged an Early College tuition rate. Across Maine’s Community Colleges this will be 50% of tuition, fees waived, with students responsible for course materials.
Student may take up to two (2) courses per academic year at this special rate.
- This rate will apply to Bridge Academy students unless your college has a preexisting arrangement for those students.
- Students in the Telstar Early College Program and Spring Ahead have preexisting arrangements.