Your education has wings!

The Maine Community College System offers many online programs and hundreds of online course offerings.

We are proud to participate in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA) which allows us to provide online and distance learning programs to residents of states outside of Maine.

SARA is an agreement among its member states, districts and U.S. territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offerings of postsecondary distance-education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by colleges and universities in a state other than the one where they reside.

SARA is overseen by a national council and administered by four regional higher education compacts, with the New England Board of Higher Education being the regional entity for the State of Maine.

As part of the SARA agreement, Maine’s community colleges provide an online learning grievance process.

The first step for any student living outside the state of Maine is to file their complaint at the Maine community college where the class was offered. You can get the college’s SARA complaint form from the academic dean at the college, or request one via email by clicking on the name of the college below:

Each college will review and investigate the complaint according to its policies and procedures. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome at the college, the student may then file a complaint with the State of Maine, using the state portal entity and the state’s SARA complaint form. This form should be used by any current student or former student enrolled in an online degree program who seeks to file a complaint against a degree-granting institution approved to operate under the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA).